calibration of monitor
  • How do i calibrate my monitor
  • For accurate calibration you will need a calibrator and software. I uße colormonki smile.
  • There are 2 main options for calibration, either the Colormonki mentioned by Paul or the Spyder which we use. Both similar, we've used the Spyder for a long time. Each require software and a reading head and are reasonably straightforward to use. What version of Windows are you using? David W
  • These calibration devices only calibrate colour and not luminance. They only measure the luminance. The software may indicate the luminance should be about 120cd/m2. The acid test for 'correct' luminance is a print of your image. Dark print means luminance too high, Light print luminance too low. Each adjustment of the luminance will require a recal.
  • Found the attached on internet. Might be useful not tried it myself.
    CheckMonLum.pdf
    CheckMonLum.pdf
  • The latest Spyder 5 pro does calibrate for luminace and can also monitor and adjust for ambient light if you leave it plugged in. For printing even with a perfectly calibrated screen you are likely to need to increase the brightness of the print because of the inherent differences of the two mediums. Soft proofing can help.
  • Thanks for all the comments I will look into the calibration thanks for the comments
  • Just checked my monitor using the method I found (see the attached file) looks like it was way too bright.
  • The Spyder only measures the luminance and displays the reading. Usually it reports how close to 120cd/m2 the monitor is radiating in the current ambient light. Spyder 3 measured ambient light so this is not new to Spyder 5.
    If you want to change the luminance you have to use the brightness/contrast buttons on the monitor. When the luminance is set to what you want the Spyder will remeasure the luminance. You then click to accept the current reading then the calibration/profiling will based on that luminance setting.
    The luminance changes on monitors over time which will require a re-calibration. I think Spyder recommended a re-cal about every month for this reason.
  • Hi everyone, I wanted to ask a further question on this topic. I callibrate my monitor using colormunki and save the settings. It works well, BUT.....every time I close down my computer, it then resets to its factory reset brightness at the next start up. So I have to recalibrate every time....which surely can't be right! Has anyone any ideas as to how I can stop the computer going back to this very bright "gamers" screen on start up?
  • This revert to system default is normal. After 2 to 3 minutes of logging on a background script should execute to install the calibrated profile. On a windows machine, when you calibrate ensure you are logged in as an administrator. Save your new calibrated profile to:- C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color This is the normal location for all colour profiles. Photoshop gets them from there.
    You can go to the location of your last calibration save and copy the .icm file(s) from there and paste into the location I gave above.
  • Tissy, Did this fix it for you?
  • Hi there...our internet failed for a few days and then life took over, so sorry for the delay in getting back to you Ray. Thanks for your response!
    Not really....my computer doesn't seem to act on its instructions to set it back to my previous calibration. The instructions are there, but none the less the screen is always back to bright "gamers" screen, and a big difference every time I calibrate. Color Munki resets the screen to bright at the beginning of its callibration process so maybe it is showing me THAT difference in its before and after... If it wasn't for the fact that my images looked very much darker on other peoples screens, I wouldn't be concerned.

• The color munki does not set or calibrate luminance - brightness & contrast. brightness & contrast is set by manually adjusting the monitor controls. The color munki sets a colour profile for the monitor at the current luminance setting.
    If your images are darker on other peoples screens then your screen is too light. You probably find that your prints are coming out dark as well.
    Reduce the brightness and/or contrast on your monitor before the calibration. The color munki will detect the change in luminance. Select current settings instead of what the color munki is displaying it should be.
    You may have to do a few trials to get it correct.
    At bootup the operating system goes to a set location for a display profile. Your calibrated profile must be in this location. The default name of the profile on my computer is 'Generic PnP Monitor-1' located in folder C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color. Use file name Generic PnP Monitor-1.icm to save your calibration profile and make sure to save in this location. You will need to be in an admin type of account to save a file in this location.
  • Tissy. Have you tried the process I mentioned in the earlier posts on this thread. The actions are in the attachment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion